Monday, December 1, 2014

David Kilgour And The Heavy Eights - End Times Undone (Merge, 2014)

David Kilgour And The Heavy Eights
End Times Undone
Merge
2014

Rating: 7 restful swallows out of 10

New Zealander David Kilgour is best known for his work in the Clean, and I love the Clean.  Somehow that fact has never translated into my listening to Kilgour's solo work much if it all.  Hell, I've even seen him play solo live a couple of times and loved the shows, and still didn't act on it.  Who knows why we do or don't do some things, but this is where I stand with Kilgour's recorded material. 

Which is a damn shame for my dumb ears, because I'm quite enjoying "End Times Undone" as I listen to it right now and jot down these barely intelligible musings.  The Clean comparison is obvious, but I get very strong Yo La Tengo vibes here (that's probably because Yo La Tengo were likely heavily influenced by the Clean and Kilgour and the whole Kiwi pop sound).  You could also go down a Television/Tom Verlaine path with the guitar work, but regardless it adds up to a lot of mellow, melodic rock songs that I fully plan on listening to more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment