Thursday, August 21, 2014

Total Control - Typical System (Iron Lung, 2014)

Total Control
Typical System
Iron Lung
2014

Rating: 7.5 sassy dogs out of 10

I'm trying to think of a smart or witty way to say this Total Control record "Typical System" sounds pretty much exactly like an early Gary Numan record, but I can't find my way around it.  Bear in mind this is definitely not a complaint - I've actually been listening to a fair amount of Numan lately, and this slides nicely into a playlist with him.  The vocals are a little more laid back/less paranoid sounding than Numan, but I'd be hard pressed to find many more differences than that.  I actually thought the second song "Expensive Dog" was a Tubeway Army cover at first, and don't get me started with the following song "Flesh War" - I'm pretty sure that synth line is directly lifted from Numan. 

Let me really reiterate that I don't give a shit, not even a little one, that these songs sound just like Gary Numan.  Catchy songs are catchy songs, and I plan on listening to these quite a bit...can't say that I give a good goddamn if it's a rip-off of someone else or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment