Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Protomartyr - Under Color of Official Right (Hardly Art, 2014)

Protomartyr
Under Color of Official Right
Hardly Art
2014

Rating: 7.5 pinched shovels out of 10

Similar to how I felt after seeing them live, I'm sort of at a loss as to what exactly Protomartyr sounds like...and god knows if can't compare one band to another, it will drive me completely crazy.  You might call them an American version of the Fall after hearing a song like "Ain't So Simple" or "Bad Advice," but that doesn't quite capture it; plus, as great as Protomartyr singer Joe Casey is, he's no Mark E. Smith.  Other tracks like "Trust Me Billy" sound like a punkish version of GBV, catchy and upbeat in the best sort of way.  And this might be a stretch, but I even hear a little bit of the National here and there.  Whatever the formula or combination of known and/or unknown vibes, I'm really into this album, definitely recommended.   

No comments:

Post a Comment