Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Oblivians - Desperation (In The Red, 2013)

Oblivians
Desperation
In The Red
2013

Rating: 7 gray lobsters out of 10

Despite being an old man that should have been following the Oblivians from the start, I actually worked my way back to them from the fantastic Reigning Sound (both groups feature the fantastic Greg Cartwright or Greg Oblivian as he is known with this group).  "Desperation" marks their first record in over fifteen years, but you'd never know it from listening to the album.  Well, it is a little cleaner and better produced, and the entire group are better musicians than before - I suppose this can be seen as a positive or a negative depending on how dirty you like your garage punk.  All I know is this thing sounds great from start to finish for me, especially when Greg is the singer.  It won me over right quick and stands up to repeated listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment