Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Neil Halstead - Palindrome Hunches (Brushfire, 2012)

Neil Halstead
Palindrome Hunches
Brushfire
2012

Rating: 7.5 chick tracts out of 10

From the mid-nineties to the mid-oughts, Neil Halstead released a number of classic records under the band name Mojave 3.  I mean no slight to the rest of the Mojave 3 band members, but it's Halstead's voice and song-writing that really sold that material.  So it's no surprise that his solo records are equally great, especially this newest offering "Palindrome Hunches."  For the most part it's just the man, his vocals and a bit of guitar - most every review I've seen have made a Nick Drake cover, but I've been listening to Halstead for so long he is now a touchstone for other comparisons.  Certainly the "soft rockingness" of both artists are quite similar, so I see where the comparisons come from, but for my money I'll honestly take Halstead over Drake.  Pound for pound Halstead's output is just as engaging, and there's more of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment