Friday, February 8, 2013

Lace Curtains - The Garden of Joy and the Well of Loneliness (Female Fantasy, 2012)

Lace Curtains
The Garden of Joy and the Well of Loneliness
Female Fantasy
2012

Rating: 7.5 committed fouls out of 10

I really loved that band Harlem that released a couple of records a year or two ago, but then they sorta fell off the map.  I have no idea if they broke up or it's a hiatus situation, but in the interim there are at least a couple of quality off shoots - Grape St. and this here band, Lace Curtains.  This album sounds just as catchy as Harlem, minus the garage punk ferocity.  I'd say it feels like the drunken cousin of of the prep pop fad that hit a couple years back with Real Estate and those groups.  This would have been a strong contender for my year-end list if I'd gotten to it in time.  I've only listened a couple of times but it is very good, and will hopefully help scratch the itch left behind by Harlem's disappearance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment