Thursday, January 3, 2013

Spider Bags - Shake My Head (Odessa, 2012)

Spider Bags
Shake My Head
Odessa
2012

Rating: 8.5 tough titties out of 10

To call Spider Bags unclassifiable is to state the truth.  There is no real unifying factor throughout all of their songs other than them being of extremely high quality.  They're so unclassifiable I find a hard time summing the band up in one of my shitty short reviews.  Their music is this weird stew pot of punk, garage, country, old school r & b...basically, everything short of polka and field recordings of the ocean.  Perhaps the most contemporary artist you could think of comparing them to would be the Golden Boys, but when I listen to them they always make me think of the Replacements.  Not so much in sound, and certainly Spider Bags singer Dan McGee sounds nothing like Paul Westerberg, but they have the same spirit, the same moxie or some such shit.  As an added bonus, they are just mesmerizing and amazing live.  This probably shouldn't color a review of their record, but in my mind the two things are intertwined.  And as they are a local group for me, I get to see them live a lot - though not as often as I want to listen to this record.     

No comments:

Post a Comment