Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sun Kil Moon - Among the Leaves (Caldo Verde, 2012)

Sun Kil Moon
Among the Leaves
Caldo Verde
2012

Rating: 5.5 really freakin' hot beef jerky out of 10

I wish I could get as excited for new Sun Kil Moon material as I do to listen to the old Red House Painters albums or even the first SKM record "Ghosts of the Great Highway."  A lot of that is on me - preconceived notions and all that jazz.  And some of it is on Mark Kozalek (aka the dude who is Sun Kil Moon in case you weren't aware) - let's be honest, most of his songs sound the same.  It's a good sound, but still.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this record, other than it being too long (really, 73 minutes?), but there isn't really anything that stands out in these 17 tracks either.  The more recent material seems to lack that spooky, ethereal quality that his older music had.  So, yeah...I'm going to go listen to "Ocean Beach" now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment