Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Steve Moore / Majeure - Brainstorm (Temporary Residence, 2012)

Steve Moore / Majeure
Brainstorm
Temporary Residence
2012

Rating: 7 bikini bumps out of 10

So Steve Moore and Majeure make up the group Zombi, but on this release they decided to do some solo work...and then release it together.  It doesn't make any sense to me, but that's what the Temporary Residence website says.  Seems like if you wanted to go solo you'd also want separate releases, but I ain't the one in charge.  

I also didn't know jack shit about any of this music going in, but I randomly came across the album opener "Enhanced Humanoid" by Moore and was immediately smitten.  It sounds like a Giorgio Moroder soundtrack to a sci-fi horror movie (zombies in outer space maybe?), and is definitely one of my favorite songs of the year.  The first four songs on the album are all Moore, and the Moroder description is pretty fitting for the whole thing.  There might be a better description, but like I said, this isn't typically my genre.  The final song is a twenty minute opus from Majeure, building slowly from seven minutes of atmospheric soundscapes into a mellower version of that same Moroder sound as described earlier.  

The whole damn record is surprisingly fantastic.  I should probably check out Zombi now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment