Friday, June 29, 2012

The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends (Warner Bros, 2012)

The Flaming Lips
The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Warner Bros
2012

Rating: 5 nail clips out of 10

Holy clusterfuck, Batman.  The Flaming Lips have been on a productive tear lately, and I'd like to award them at least some points for trying new things, even if I have disliked most of them.  They worked with a lot of different artists last year when they released all those EPs, and some of those collaborations are here (Prefuse 73, Yoko Ono, Lightning Bolt & more).  It's a mixed bag at best.  Then there are the new tracks, which I'll split into two camps - those with artists I care about and those who elicited a "what the fuck?" when I saw them listed.  The collabos with Bon Iver, Jim James and Nick Cave are all ok - nothing groundbreaking, but listenable.  But they also decided to pair with Ke$ha, Edward Sharpe and Coldplay...oof.  The only real surprise/highlight is the ten minute long Erykah Badu venture, which turned out much better than I ever would have expected.  I was not expecting much, mind you. 

Maybe they can now turn to the novel idea of making another proper Flaming Lips record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment