Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Morrissey - Greatest Hits (Polydor, 2008)


Morrissey
Greatest Hits
Polydor
2008

Rating:
5 pointless compilations out of 10

I am a man of mixed emotions here – giving anything Morrissey puts out a low score is close to blasphemy, but I simply cannot back this choice of top songs in any way, shape or form. Read this rating as an average of a perfect score of 10 for the music with a big fat zero for the decision to call this group of tracks “Greatest Hits”.

To someone who has followed this man for, well, decades at this point, a quick look at the track list told me things were off – of the fifteen tracks, nine were from the last couple of records and two were new, leaving a whopping four songs to cover his previous sixteen years of stellar recordings. For me personally, I'd buy the record anyways for the two new tracks...but what of the casual fan, or the young kid just looking to get into Morrissey's music? This would be an awful choice (or as awful as any comp of the Morrissey's material could possibly be).

I'm quite certain nearly every fan of this fine artist would come up with a different track list for a “Greatest Hits” record (me personally, any comp not including “Speedway” or “Sing Your Life” needs to be sent back to the presses), but I'm positive we would all agree that overloading it with new songs is not the way to go. For those seeking a much better “Greatest Hits” album (but still far from perfect in my book), check out the album titled “The Best Of” released in 2001. It's obviously missing songs off his newer albums, but it does a much better job of sampling his entire catalog up until that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment