Sunday, July 7, 2019

House Of Large Sizes / Treepeople - Split 7'' (Toxic Shock, 1991)

House Of Large Sizes / Treepeople
Split 7''
Toxic Shock
1991

Rating
: 6.5 slapped bastards out of 10

I bought this split seven inch for one reason - Treepeople.  I mean, I guess the max number of reasons would be two so I'm not sure why I pointed this out, but...yeah.  Their track is "Neil's Down," which is also available on their second album "Guilt Regret Embarrassment," but it's not like I paid much for this slab of repitition.  Like most Treepeople songs it just sounds like a noiser, more chaotic version of Built To Spill (an inevitable comparison given I worked backwards from Built To Spill to this band).  This particular track is almost a little Jawbreaker-ish, which is not something I've ever thought before when listening to Treepeople. 

The other side is a band called House Of Large Sizes with "Bankrupt In Hoven."  I had literally never even heard the name of this band before buying this, which is actually an accomplishment given the number of years I've been listening to exactly this genre of music.  This track is mid-tempo, grunge-adjacent, and has a weird time signature...it sounds a bit like an old Chapel Hill band called Capsize 7, but since almost no one remembers them or even knew them in the first place, let's just say this band is definitely influenced by Sonic Youth.  It's not bad - I'd be curious to hear more of their music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment