Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Christian Fitness - You Are The Ambulance (Self-Released, 2019)

Christian Fitness
You Are The Ambulance
Self-Released
2019


Rating: 7.5 skull tongues out of 10

It’s pretty exciting to come across an album from a new band that immediately sounds familiar – it sounds like a record you might already have in your collection, only you don’t know these particular songs.   I had that feeling with the ridiculously named Christian Fitness and their newest release “You Are The Ambulance.”  As is typical for me, my very next thought is who does this new band sound like?  I hear elements of PIL, some Devo for sure, the Fall in their quirkier moments, but what it sounded most like was McClusky – a little less agro than McClusky could sometimes be, but the comparison was undeniable.  Now, being a learned man of science, my next step was to do a little research on Christian Fitness (aka punch their name into Discogs) – it appears this is a solo project (it doesn’t sound like it), or they were just too lazy to list the rest of the band.  The one member listed?  Andy Falkous… and if that name sounds as familiar to you as it does to me, it’s because he used to be the frontman of… McClusky.  I’m not sure If this means my band comparison skills are incredibly accurate, or it’s more of a “no shit they sound the same you simpleton, it’s the same dude playing basically the same type of music just under a different name.”  Regardless, I like it, it scratches that spazzy/post-punk/angular/noise rock itch that I pretty much always have in the back of my brain, and that’s good enough for me.  Also: apparently this is Andy’s sixth album under this moniker (all of which seem to be self-released & digital only), so not only is the artist not new, this particular outlet for him isn’t new either.  Well it’s new to me, dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment