Tuesday, November 27, 2018

J Mascis - Elastic Days (Sub Pop, 2018)

J Mascis
Elastic Days
Sub Pop
2018


Rating: 7.5 door prizes out of 10

From the very first chord on the very first song, you know this is J Mascis – and if not, you definitely know by the time he gets to that first signature guitar solo.  Is it that the man has become that predictable, or has he just crafted such a signature sound that anyone who has spent time listening to him can spot one of his songs from a mile away?  It’s probably a chicken/egg situation, and anyways, when the songs are this consistently excellent who gives a shit.  Using an abacus I’ve determined I’ve had a strong relationship with Mascis for nearly 30 years – I vividly remember buying the cassette of Dinosaur Jr’s “Whatever’s Cool With Me” EP after a girl I had a crush on told me what a great band they were, and thankfully she had good taste because I might have bought literally anything she foisted upon me.  There isn’t a chance in hell that any other old-ass fans like myself would listen to “Elastic Days” and not come away pleased with the results.  J Mascis is the Old Faithful of catchy indie pop songs with blistering guitar solos (and don’t think that just because these songs are mostly mellow/acoustic affairs that he still doesn’t do his signature six-string wizardry). 

I’m not sure what the point of this review is other than I haven’t written anything in a while and I guess I felt the need to let everyone know the new J Mascis record is good, even if everybody already assumes that is the case.  And that I was easily susceptible to suggestions from cute girls in high school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment