Rating: 8 offgassing plastic trays out of 10
The duo known as ISS, aka Rich (of Bodykit, formerly Whatever Brains) and Eddie (of Brain F≠), are as confounding and interesting a band as you'll come across today. I'm doing this one in bullet points because I'm not entirely sure how to put all of these thoughts together...
- The music is made mostly of samples of punk songs, with some additional synth here and there.
- The results span everything from industrial to punk to noise to god knows what else; Imagine Liars meets Les Savy Fav meets the Fall meets...fuck, there's a lot going on here and I can't even begin to pinpoint it all. If you ever listened to Whatever Brains, imagine a dancier, crazier version of that band.
- What sounds like a potential hot mess is actually quite catchy. Calling this music catchy might actually anger Rich.
- "The Gov't Is After Me" is one of my favorite songs of the year.
- This cassette-only release has 14 songs in 21 minutes...there's no fluff to be found. There is supposed to be a vinyl release in the future though, and fingers crossed no lawsuits from all the samples. This would be great because I sold my car that had a tape deck.