Thursday, July 6, 2017

Superchunk - I Got Cut 7'' (Merge, 2017)

Superchunk
I Got Cut 7''
Merge
2017

Rating: 8.5 dead eye lights out of 10

I suppose it's only fitting the the 600th (!) release on Merge records would be from label founders, stalwarts, and owners Superchunk.  Moreover, this seven inch was also a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood, with all proceeds from the limited run of 500 going to help the beleaguered organization.  Good on Merge and Superchunk for doing the right thing, and good on me for buying this slab right away because it sold out pretty damn quick.  

Anyways, the record itself - the title track on side A is a fairly punk affair, sounding like an old Chunk song with a chorus that reminds me of the Damned's "Smash It Up."  If that's not a ringing endorsement I don't know what is because everyone loves that damn Damned song.  The flip side is "Up Against The Wall," a cover of a Tom Robinson Band track that I quite liked.  To be honest my only knowledge of Tom Robinson was their one hit "2-4-6-8 Motorway," but now I'm going to make a point to listen to the original.   

No comments:

Post a Comment