Monday, December 21, 2015

Low - Ones and Sixes (Sub Pop, 2015)

Low
Ones and Sixes
Sub Pop
2015

Rating: 8 breathing snails out of 10

I've long been a total fanboy of Low, both in recorded form and live, ever since I randomly bought a used copy of "The Curtain Hits the Cast" in college...nearly twenty years ago.  I don't feel good about typing that.   I do, however, feel good about this new Low record "Ones and Sixes."  There are never any great leaps or changes in what Low does - it's always subtle, and often takes a few listens to pinpoint.  The two most noteworthy items on "Ones and Sixes" are the use of electronic drums to augment the simple drum beats that usually populate their tracks, and a strong Cocteau Twins vibe from the guitars on a few songs.  Make no mistake though, any fan of Low is going to feel right at home with this one.  As is always the case anytime they release a record, it's one of my favorites of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment