Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Lees of Memory - Sisyphus Says (SideOneDummy, 2014)

The Lees of Memory
Sisyphus Says
SideOneDummy
2014

Rating: 7.5 dental flossers out of 10

If you ever wondered what it would be like if Superdrag sounded more like My Bloody Valentine, you're old like me.  Also, you're in luck - two of the members of the Drag (including singer John Davis) have a new act called the Lees of Memory.  I've actually had this sitting on my computer for a while, reluctant for some reason to listen to it; a foolish move on my part (I'm good for a few of these every day).  Bands that rise from the ashes of your favorites can often be disappointing, but that definitely isn't the case here.  And that shouldn't really be a surprise - with Davis' voice, anything they put out is just going to sound like Superdrag, the only difference here is the addition of extra swirly/distorted guitar parts on some of the songs.  My favorite track after the first few listens is "Not a Second More," which to be totally frank sounds exactly like a Superdrag song that would have been on their classic record "Regretfully Yours."  Not complaining about that at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment