Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Jeff the Brotherhood - Dig the Classics (Warner Bros, 2014)

Jeff the Brotherhood
Dig the Classics
Warner Bros
2014

Rating: 7 phasers set to stun out of 10

Jeff the Brotherhood offer up an EP of covers for the fans, and this fan approves.  I'm not sure how often I'll spin this, but I do like hearing their take on some classic tracks, and all of their choices here are solid.  Some songs are fairly straight forward and well known (the Pixies' "Gouge Away" and My Bloody Valentine's "Come in Alone"), others are obscure b-sides (Teenage Fanclub's "Mad Dog 20/20" from an old DGC comp, and Beck's "Totally Confused" that appears to be the b-side of the "Loser" single).  There is even one track called "Cujo," originally by Colleen Green, that I didn't know at all, so it felt more like getting a new JtB song than a cover.  The best track is their take on the Wipers' "Mystery," a song they should definitely be playing regularly in their live sets if they aren't already (they haven't played near me in a couple of years so I'm totally out of the loop on their live output).  For fans this is a must hear - for everyone else, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment