Tuesday, January 27, 2015

FKA Twigs - LP1 (Young Turks, 2014)

FKA Twigs
LP1
Young Turks
2014

Rating: 6 fancy rings out of 10

I think if I probably didn't know better, I'd assume this FKA Twigs record came out in the mid-nineties and was contemporaries with the likes of Portishead, Tricky and Roni Size, and I just somehow missed it.  I suppose it's not just the indie rock of my high school and college years that is getting rehashed these days, apparently the kids need to hear trip hop again too.  Nothing wrong with that mind you, just an observation from this relatively old man, musically speaking.  On the plus side, I actually like (but don't love) this record, and when it's an artist such as this that has been blogged to death across the entire internet, I find that is rarely the case.  On the minus side, nothing else on this album is as close to as good as the hit song "Two Weeks" - the rest of it is perfectly fine and listenable, but definitely lacks that "it" factor of that track.  That song is really damn good, I find I want to listen to it quite a bit.  I guess it can be at least one thing I still have in common with teenagers, other than my awful diet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment