Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Mutants / Impatient Youth - '78 on 45 7'' (Shredder, 1988)

The Mutants / Impatient Youth
'78 on 45 7''
Shredder
1988

Rating: 6.5 love rings out of 10

My copy of this has no sleeve, is on marbled white vinyl, and I have zero idea where I got it from.  Maybe one of the Shredding Paper dudes gave it to me when I was reviewing for them?  Regardless, this slab is a throwback to the golden age of Bay Area punk rock.  Side A is two tracks by the Mutants, with the second track "Insect Lounge" sounding like a sloppy, slightly punker New York Dolls.  Side b is also two tracks, this time by Impatient Youth.  I'd heard of the Mutants but these guys were totally foreign to me - it's a little more straight-forward first generation punk, not as good as the Mutants side, but still catchy. 

Also - while the release date of this is 1988, these songs are dated 1978.  Now does that mean these are 1988 recordings of the songs, or they are 1978 recordings that didn't get released until 1988?  I have no idea.  It certainly feels raw enough to be late seventies though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment