Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Bill Janovitz - Walt Whitman Mall (Self-Released, 2013)

Bill Janovitz
Walt Whitman Mall
Self-Released
2013

Rating: 7 king sized candy bars out of 10

I grabbed this Bill Janovitz album on a whim - I'd loved his band Buffalo Tom since I was in high school, even saw them live right around 1992 (and still have the t-shirt from the show!), even if I hadn't listened to them much lately.  I had next to no expectations but this is a solid, well-written pop record.  He didn't do anything new and exciting, but he did a whole record's worth of songs that are well crafted and worth hearing.  It's a record by and probably for the older set like me, mature pop songs with just a tinge of roots/folk/alt-country...honestly, if you called it a Buffalo Tom record instead of a solo Janovitz record I doubt anyone would even notice.  And now I'm feeling a strong urge to bust out my copy of "Let Me Come Over"...

No comments:

Post a Comment