Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Superchunk - I Hate Music (Merge, 2013)

Superchunk
I Hate Music
Merge
2013

Rating: 8.5 half-empty water bottles out of 10

What can I say about Superchunk, one of my all-time favorite bands, that hasn't been said before?  And when I say "all-time" I'm  talking top five status here people.  This new record, "I Hate Music"?  IT FUCKIN' RULES.  First listen, I'm sold.  Though you might have already guessed I'm a soft sell when it comes to these folks.  If you ever thought they were washed up they already proved that wrong with 2010's "Majesty Shredding."  This just continues that tradition that being, older responsible label owners means you can't still write great songs and rock out.  For the most part this record is a little poppier than "Majesty," more akin to their late nineties/early oughts records, but it's not without it's rock - hell, "Staying Home" is basically a hardcore song, probably the heaviest thing they've ever recorded.  No fan will leave disappointed after this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment