Thursday, August 15, 2013

Calexico - Maybe On Monday EP (Our Soil, Our Strength, 2013)

Calexico
Maybe On Monday EP
Our Soil, Our Strength
2013

Rating: 7 tiger claws out of 10

I don't get quiet as worked up over them as I once did, but I'll always give anything Calexico puts out a listen.  This EP is bookended by two different versions of the song "Maybe On Monday," which is also featured on their album "Algiers" that came out last year.  In between those two tracks are three covers - The Call's "Walls Came Down," Elvis Costello's "Shabby Doll," and the Replacements' "Unsatisfied." I'm partial to their take on the Replacements' tune since I'm already a big fan of that one, but the real trat is the Call track - I had never heard that song before, and Calexico does a great job making it their own.  I'll have to seek out the original now.  Oh and the title song is fine, with one version very similar to the original and another acoustic demo version.  But it's the covers here that will drive the traffic, and they're worth hearing if you are a Calexico fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment