Thursday, May 30, 2013

William Tyler - Impossible Truth (Merge, 2013)

William Tyler
Impossible Truth
Merge
2013

Rating
: 6 buzzing hummingbirds out of 10

William Tyler is a damn fine guitarist, be it here on this solo record or with Lambchop, his other main gig.  You could even say resplendent, though I may have to go look the word up to make sure...yep, the definition is “attractive and impressive through being richly colorful or sumptuous,” so it fits.  But the problem for me is – I don't much yen to listen to this record.  I can play “Impossible Truth,” remark on what a talent the man is, but then after a song or two I just want to listen to something else.  Something catchier, more accessible, something I can sing along to.  The problem seems to be that I'm just a pop tart at heart, and this ain't pop music.  It's some sort of combination of instrumental folk and jazz, it's of a damn high quality, and I'm afraid it's not for me.  (Though as a side note, I've seen the man play live and found it much more engaging). 

No comments:

Post a Comment