Friday, April 19, 2013

The Mary Onettes - Hit the Waves (Labrador, 2013)

The Mary Onettes
Hit the Waves
Labrador
2013

Rating: 7.5 vinyl johnsons out of 10

It's been a few years now and I still can't get over the fact that The Mary Onettes are not a garage pop band with a female singer.  The name is just goddamn confusing when compared to the music.  And the music, like the band, feels very very Swedish.  

I had the most random thought while listening to this record - if this band were thirty years older, they'd probably be performing with Midnight Oil.  Why Midnight Oil?  I have no idea.  I think I heard their hit song "Beds are Burning" recently and they've been stuck in my head since.  Their fucking singer is just as creepy to me now as he was when I was a kid and once convinced myself he was in the woods with me on one dark night.  Anyways, the Mary Onettes don't sound anything like Midnight Oil, instead more like a very poppy version of the Cure.  They have a very cool, keyboard and synth driven sound - and by cool I don't mean hip, though that probably also applies.  It sounds like music for a breezy fall afternoon.  

I actually quite like this, and provided I can get over the name I could see this getting a lot of spins over the next few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment