Friday, April 19, 2013

Radar Bros. - Eight (Merge, 2013)

Radar Bros.
Eight
Merge
2013

Rating: 6 strong backs out of 10

You'd never know it from the title of the album, but that is the eighth record the Radar Bros. have released.  Is it possible for a band to sound like an area?  Because all I've ever been able to think of when I hear these guys is the central valley of California.  Maybe it's because they remind me of a slightly countrified version of Grandaddy with a tinge of Pink Floyd; maybe it's because I actually saw them once in a neat old theater in some run down central valley town, opening for Grandaddy; or maybe I'm just full of shit.  All valid reasons.  

I've only given this a few listens, but it isn't punching me in the ears like many of their past releases have.  I highly doubt they ever top the outstanding "The Singing Hatchet" from 1999, an all-time favorite of mine, but fairly or unfairly I always have that benchmark in the back of my head.  That's not to say this is a bad record by any measure, but when I listen to "Eight" it makes me want to put on "Hatchet." 

No comments:

Post a Comment