Sunday, December 31, 2006

(The Sounds of) Kaleidoscope - From Where You Were to How You Got There (Hackshop, 2006)

(The Sounds of) Kaleidoscope
From Where You Were to How You Got There
Hackshop

2006

Rating: 7 quick toes out of 10
 
This Washington DC band,
(The Sounds of) Kaleidoscope, released an EP called “Can and Do What They Will” a couple of years back that I accidentally stumbled upon and it blew me out of the water.  I was obviously excited when I found out they had a new full-length out, which by the application of simple mathematical principles I was able to deduce that this release should be twice as awesome as the EP.  The group continues down the same path they had started with their earlier releases, channeling their mod pop/shoegaze rock hybrid that is equal parts Kinks and Spacemen 3, depending on how you bend your ear when listening.  Both “Oh My Mind” and “New Language” were instant favorites after only one listen, sure to be pushed on my friends until they finally catch wind and realize what a great band they are missing out on. Without hesitation I can say this is one of the best records I’ve listened to all year, and this lovely collection of tracks will most certainly be in the running when it comes to year-end best-of lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment