Sunday, December 31, 2006

I Love You But I’ve Chosen Darkness - Fear Is On Our Side (Secretly Canadian, 2006)


I Love You But I’ve Chosen Darkness
Fear Is On Our Side
Secretly Canadian
2006

Rating:
6.5 ch-ch-ch-ch-changes out of 10

Many of you may have heard of I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness and laughed at their name – I too found it quite humorous the first few times I saw or heard it mentioned (although not as humorous as the band name “I Hate You When You’re Pregnant” that I saw listed playing a local club not too long ago). With a name like that, I don’t think you would be wrong-minded to expect the group to be some sort of novelty rock act; but it turns out they are damn good, entertaining indie rock group with a penchant for keyboards. Yes, it’s true that these Texas lads do have a bit of the 80’s synth-rock rehash in them, but this is one of the few groups I can stomach that from – they make it sound like it’s the real deal, that if you played this band on 120 minutes back in the day they would have fit in nicely with the Cure, Siouxie and the Banshees, the Church, etc. the only thing standing between this group and stardom is luck – they have the look and the sounds to go over big, but like all talented acts it takes getting the right people to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment