Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wild Wild Geese - Sorry, Earth (Odessa, 2010)

Wild Wild Geese
Sorry, Earth
Odessa
2010

Rating: 7.5 rock mosaics out of 10

I kinda napped on this Wild Wild Geese record but it's kicking my ass right now.  It sounds like it was dug straight out of an archive of unsigned local triangle bands that Merge recently found in their basement.  If you told me I saw this band play on a bill at the 506 between Small 23 and Tractor Hips I'd probably believe you if I didn't know it was just a bunch of young kids making music today.   There is a HEAVY Polvo vibe to their music, early Polvo at that, and it makes me so happy that those musical heroes of mine are finally exuding some local influence, even if it is a couple of decades later.  You could also draw up comparisons to another local band, Capsize 7, though I have no idea if these kids were ever hip to them or if the similarities are just a happy coincidence.  These seemed to fly under the radar even here in their home area, or maybe that is just me, but "Sorry, Earth" is well worth seeking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment