Monday, April 23, 2012

The Shins - Port of Morrow (Columbia, 2012)

The Shins
Port of Morrow
Columbia
2012

Rating: 6 water beds out of 10

This new record by The Shins mostly just makes me miss the old Shins.  That first record, "Oh, Inverted World," felt so intimate - like it was written just for you.  It was the "handmade blanket knitted by grandma" of music.  I actually just listened to that first record a few weeks ago, and it still feels as warm and comfortable as ever.  

Additionally - and I know this isn't exactly a new phenomenon in music - but does anyone even really consider this to be the same band?  The Shins now equal James Mercer and hired hands as near as I can tell.  Sure, Mercer's voice is one the most important parts of the Shins' signature sound, but it's not everything - and you can tell with this record.

All that said, this is still a listenable pop album.  It feels a little over-produced and shiny like it's stretching it's arms attempting to embrace mainstream radio, but I think the bones are good.  You could certainly do worse.  Mostly, though, it just makes me want to go listen to the Shins early material.

No comments:

Post a Comment