Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Black Tusk - Set the Dial (Relapse, 2011)

Black Tusk
Set the Dial
Relapse
2011

Rating: 7 rabid elephants out of 10
Black Tusk call their sound "swamp metal" - I just call it good.  This is a more modern approach to classic eighties metal like Metallica and their ilk crossed with a whiskey bottle full of country snarl.  Assuming you can bottle snarl, obviously...I think my grandma had some in her basement next to the canned green beans.  I guess a southern version of High on Fire really, at least in general feel.  Like a thousand other good metal bands, these cats Georgia, so it's good that state gets at least one thing right.  I really dug their last record "Taste the Sin", they put on a great goddamn live show, and this album helps them continue their fine tradition of rocking balls off.  It ain't reinventing the wheel, but it's helping things run more smoothly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment