Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Ex-Vöid - Only One 7'' (Prefect, 2019)

Ex-Vöid
Only One 7''
Prefect
2019


Rating: 8 sitcom lesbians out of 10

This band being named Ex-Vöid, complete with an extraneous umlaut, plus the cover art on this seven inch…there’s no way this isn’t a punk or hardcore band, right?  Or… maybe not, as the title track is about as twee a you can get.  It gives off a great Camera Obscura-meets-Best Coast vibe, with harmonized male and female vocals throughout, all backed by some very Teenage Fanclub-esque guitar work.  The song is an instant ear worm you’re likely play over and over and over if you love this style of music like I do.  If I get around to making a list of my favorite songs of 2019, which to be honest I rarely remember to do, this would definitely be on it, and very high in the countdown.  But then!  The b side, one of those rare, delightful occurrences where a band names a song after themselves, is a distorted punk scorcher less than a minute long.  A fine track, though nothing to get worked up for, and not even in the same universe as “Only One” in style or quality.

So now I’m confused.  And curious, very very curious at where Ex-Vöid goes next.  I’m damn near tempted to give this a perfect score for the title track alone, I can’t recommend it any more highly.   

No comments:

Post a Comment