Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains (Drag City, 2019)

Purple Mountains
Purple Mountains
Drag City
2019


Rating: Sadness. 

I had been struggling with what I might write about the excellent self-titled Purple Mountains album that came out this past summer for a little while…and then David Berman committed suicide and now I don’t really want to write anything.  I’m mostly just sad about it all, and maybe a touch angry at the world, and subsequently it has made this a tough record to listen to these days.  Let it be known it’s very, very good though, very Berman in all the right ways, but to quote the youth – “I just can’t right now.”  I need some time to pass before I can revisit this one.  Hug your family and friends, life is short.  Get help if you need it, please.  Maybe once the sadness passes, listen to all things David Berman, because the man was really damn good at this…I just wish that had been enough to slake his demons.    

No comments:

Post a Comment