Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Divine Fits - My Love Is Real 7'' (Merge, 2012)

Divine Fits
My Love Is Real 7''
Merge
2012

Rating: 7 goddamn sweaters out of 10

I'm racking my brain but I can't think of a supergroup in the last few decades that made a lasting impression...I suppose Gorillaz might be the closest, but that was really just Damon Albarn, some fake cartoon band members, and the occasional hip hop guest star.  Or maybe Electronic is a better option?  That duo Johnny Marr and Bernard Sumner always truck me more as just a new band they were in rather than a supergroup proper...it's a distinction that is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.  Back in the sixties, those drugged out ding dongs formed these type of bands left and right...Blind Faith, CSNY, etc.  

Divine Fits (Britt from Spoon, Dan from Wolf Parade/Handsome Furs, and Sam from New Bomb Turks) made a totally enjoyable record called "A Thing Called Divine Fits," but I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to it.  I do know I liked it.  The title track of this seven inch can also be found on that release, as is typical in these situations.  I suppose the real draw of this wax is the b-side, "I Was Born In A Laundromat," a Camper Van Beethoven cover that is highly enjoyable.  Is it worth making an effort to seek this out? If you're really into hearing Britt Daniel sing other people's songs, yes.  It is a fine cover, and reminds me that I should try listening to Camper again...they didn't really take in my younger years despite being well regarded by my peers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment