Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Laetitia Sadier Source Ensemble - Find Me Finding You (Drag City, 2017)

Laetitia Sadier Source Ensemble
Find Me Finding You

Drag City
2017

Rating: 7 lucky stars out of 10

I listened to so much Stereolab this summer, easily the most I've listened to since college when they might have been my most-played band, so it was kismet that Stereolab founder Laetitia Sadier released a new record "Find Me Finding You" under the group name Laetitia Sadier Source Ensemble.  Outside of the tropicalia-inspired opening track "Undying Love for Humanity," there's no denying this is basically just an older, wiser, more mature version of Stereolab, musically speaking.  I don't mean to sell her former bandmates short, but the ears hear what they hear.  There's not quite as much synth on this album - it's more of a garnish here as opposed to the main course - but Laetitia's voice makes comparing this record to anything other than her classic outfit a real reach, and pointless.  Sure, if I want to hear Sadier I'm much more likely to grab "Mars Audiac Quintet" out of my collection first, but "Finding Me Finding You" fits in nicely with her oeuvre.

No comments:

Post a Comment