Monday, March 13, 2017

Jeff Rosenstock - Worry. (SideOneDummy, 2016)

Jeff Rosenstock
Worry.
SideOneDummy
2016

Rating: 7 ice cold cold sores out of 10

Occasionally I listen to the podcast "Who Charted?" - they almost always talk about music, usually of the top 40 variety, and I almost never like what they're talking about (but I listen anyways because Howard and Kulap are funny).  A comedian by the name of Matt Besser was a guest on the show a few weeks ago talking about his favorite songs of 2016, and one of his selections was by Jeff Rosenstock - I was immediately hooked.  Apparently the dude came up playing in ska-punk and pop-punk bands that were somewhat popular, but I'd never heard of him because that's definitely not my scene.  This album is probably best described as (mostly) grown-up pop punk...a little less agro, a little more acoustic guitar.  You can definitely hear how his old scene influenced what Rosenstock is doing now though, particularly with his reliance on sing-a-long choruses - but many of the songs are so damn catchy you don't even get mad about this overused deviceI think Besser's song pick was "Wave Goodnight to Me," and I'd have to concur that it's the best track here -it was stuck in my head after only one listen.  Most of the album is quite strong, but occasionally he resorts to his ska-punk past - the track "Rainbow" is particularly, um, not good, but nobody's perfect.  There's enough here to make this more than worth checking out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment