Thursday, May 19, 2016

King Khan - Never Hold On 7'' (Khannibalism / Ernest Jenning Record Co, 2016)

King Khan
Never Hold On 7''
Khannibalism / Ernest Jenning Record Co
2016

Rating
: 8 hot, buttered corn-on-the-cobs out of 10

Despite being a fan for a long ass time of all things King Khan related, over the last couple of years my fervor for keeping up with his every release has somewhat waned.  Then he comes out with this stone cold jam called "Never Hold On," all lush and smooth, and I'm totally back in.  This track sounds like a throwback to the Brill Building days, complete with string section arrangements.  I couldn't love this any more than I do.  The b-side "A Tree Not a Leaf Am I" is fine, not special or boring really, just there.  Sorta slow and sultry, but not particularly exciting.  That a-side is fire though, and worth the price of admission alone. 

Apparently the songs from this release (along with another seven inch from Khan called "America Goddamn" that I'm not feeling quite as much as this one) are taken from the soundtrack to a documentary called "The Invaders" that may have some involvement with the world's strangest filmmaker, Alejandro Jodorowsky.  I can't find out a lot about it though.  I may not have tried very hard, to be honest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment