Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Mount Moriah - Calvander 7'' (Merge, 2015)

Mount Moriah
Calvander 7''
Merge
2015

Rating: 7 bloody bags out of 10

The last Mount Moriah album "Miracle Temple" was still a pretty good effort, but I loved their self-titled debut so much and had such high expectations they really had nowhere to go but down.  Happily, I like this new seven inch by them so much it re-ignited my excitement and I've already pre-ordered their next album that's coming out in the next month or two.  The title track and the demo version of "Baby Blue" are both going to be on that next record, and both are totally great - a little twangy, a little dark, just the way I like their jams.  The best track is the final one though, and the biggest reason to hunt this wax down -  a live version of "Plane" from their self-titled effort.  Probably my second favorite song of theirs ever, and the recording is resplendent.  I'm real happy with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment