Monday, April 6, 2015

Outer Spaces - Garbage Beach EP (Salinas, 2014)

Outer Spaces
Garbage Beach EP
Salinas
2014

Rating: 8 blue bags out of 10

I came across Outer Spaces, both the band and this record, when I caught them on tour with a band I love, Lace Curtains. They closed the night and had just intended to see a couple of songs to hear what they sounded like - I ended up staying for the whole set and rushing to the merch table to buy the record.  With six songs at a little over 20 minutes long, I've found myself listening to this over and over and over since my first listen, mesmerized by Cara Beth Satalino's voice.  Musically the closest comparison I would make might be our very own Mount Moriah, with a little less twang.  There's also the occasional sheen of pop here, like on the Best Coast-ish "Rust."  Not a bad song in the bunch, and I really couldn't recommend this more highly.  Really looking forward to future recordings and future shows by this group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment