Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Crooked Fingers / Spider Bags - Split 7'' (Merge, 2014)

Crooked Fingers / Spider Bags
Split 7''
Merge
2014

Rating: 7.5 grumpy grandmas out of 10

I totally forgot I had one more seven inch to review of the Merge subscription series, which is especially dumb considering how much I love both bands featured on this slab.  The track by Crooked Fingers, "Western Line," sounded instantly familiar - it could be he performed it at one of the many, many live Eric Bachmann shows I've seen in one form or another; or maybe I'm just so used to hearing the man's voice and output for more than twenty years that all of his songs sound familiar to me even if I've never actually heard it before.  Good song though.  Spider Bags go the cover route, tackling "Into a Tree" by the Limes, but unsurprisingly it sounds exactly like a Spider Bags song, as they do.  In fact I think I've possibly heard this one live as well.  Interestingly enough, the only time I've seen the Limes live was with Spider Bags...I smell a conspiracy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment