Thursday, November 13, 2014

Run the Jewels - RTJ2 (Mass Appeal, 2014)

Run the Jewels
RTJ2
Mass Appeal
2014

Rating: 8 paint owners out of 10

Someone whose opinion I generally respect called this new record by Run the Jewels the best rap record of the last ten years.  While I definitely don't feel that strongly about "RTJ2," I'll definitely give it the nod of best rap album of the year.  I listen to so little rap these day though, that might be even less informed than my general musical opinion...regardless, I love the album.  Both El-P and Killer Mike are firing on all cylinders, especially on tracks "Oh My Darling Don't Cry" and "Close Your Eyes (and Count to Fuck)," the latter which also features Zach from Rage Against the Machine, someone I hadn't thought of in decades.  If there is a complaint it's that the record feels short - you really want more from this terrific duo.   

No comments:

Post a Comment