Wednesday, September 10, 2014

East River Pipe / Reigning Sound - Split 7'' (Merge, 2014)

East River Pipe / Reigning Sound
Split 7''
Merge
2014

Rating: 7.5 fundamental flossings out of 10

East River Pipe are one of a very small set of bands on Merge that I've never really listened to.  No reason why really, they just never entered my radar.  Now that I finally own something by them - it's good!  If this song is indicative, laid-back keyboard pop, makes me think of other "adult indie pop" as I call it, stuff like Fruit Bats and Pernice Brothers and all that.  

That was side A - side B is the Reigning Sound, and I'm plenty familiar with them.  Their track is an acoustic version of "Falling Rain," with the regular version on their most recent album "Shattered."  Great song regardless of how it's played, but it is interesting hearing Greg Cartwright play by himself with just an acoustic guitar and a little backing pedal steel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment