Monday, January 31, 2005

Xiu Xiu - La Forêt (5RC, 2005)

Xiu Xiu
La Forêt
5RC

2005

Rating: 4 old drugs out of 10
 
Every time I try to listen to Xiu Xiu, and oh how I’ve tried, I never seem to “get it”. It’s like everyone else is in on the joke, and it’s very frustrating. I’ll give Jamie Stewart one thing for sure – he’s a very original singer and songwriter with his own distinct voice, something not many can claim these days. And while that is certainly admirable, it doesn’t necessarily make me want to listen to his music. I don’t even know how to describe the band’s sound – sometimes it’s hauntingly folky and mellow, then the next track will be a glitchy electronica-rock song, and then he kinda rocks out…there are even a couple of numbers on here that remind me of Joy Division, and not in that Interpol “gets compared to them but doesn’t actually sound like it” way, but the songs honest-to-god sound like Joy Division. That, or my ears are broken, which is certainly possible. Anyways, I can’t really say to buy or not to buy this, but Xiu Xiu is a band worth checking out just to see how you react to it. You may hate it, but at least you’ll know you haven’t missed out on anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment