Wednesday, January 22, 2003

M. Ward - Transfiguration of Vincent (Merge, 2003)

M. Ward
Transfiguration of Vincent
Merge

2003

Rating: 7 great paths out of 10
 
M. Ward has created a lovely little album of his unique blend of folk pop here. This record screams to me “summer” - I think it would be a fitting listen riding down highway 1 along the pacific coast in a convertible on a warm summer day. Or if you’re like me and don’t have a convertible, a station wagon will have to do. Ward has a natural ability for crafting songs that feel as if they could have existed 50 years ago, yet they don’t sound “retro” or intentionally dated; they just feel like this is the earnest music that comes from this man’s mouth and hands without him even putting forth very much effort. Although it would be hard to pinpoint anything that actually sounds just like Matt Ward, his songs remind me of some Howe Gelb and Mark Linkous’s output blended with the guitar playing of someone like Django Reinhardt. Ward’s sound is so unique that it took me a few listens to even realize that the song “Let’s Dance” is a David Bowie cover, a song I’ve heard at least a million times. If you like mellow, dreamy pop music with a folky bent, this is your man. He writes a catchy tune, plays a mean guitar, and even though I’ve never met him, his music makes me think he’s probably a pretty nice guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment