Monday, December 31, 2001

IfiHadAHiFi - Ones and Zeroes (No Karma, 2001)


IfiHadAHiFi
Ones and Zeroes
No Karma
2001

Rating:
6.5 non-binary numbers out of 10

The first phrase that comes to my mind to describe IfIHadAHiFi is "spazz rock". I’m not sure if that will be taken as an insult, because it’s not meant to be. More than anything, this quartet of mid-westerners reminds me of the early albums of The Dismemberment Plan – the main difference being that where the D-Plan would get a little too funky for my tastes, these guys get a little more punk(in a Devo/Talking Heads kinda way). And that was always my complaint about the early D-Plan stuff – too much white boy funk; of course, they don’t sound like that now, but that has nothing to do with IfiHadAHiFi, so I’ll get back on topic. Basically, take a bunch of samples, keyboards, regular organic instruments, noise and punk, throw it in a blender, and you get this album. It could have been mess, and I’ve heard others try to go this route much less success – but these lads have done good.

No comments:

Post a Comment